Are you tired of the same old roasts and steaks? Perhaps it’s time to change up your dinner routine with something a little bit out of the ordinary—the tri-tip, cooked using the sous vide method. With this tasty recipe, you can take an everyday cut of meat like tri-tip and turn it into a succulent dish that is worthy of being served at any restaurant. So bust out your slow cooker and let’s get started!
Why you should try the sous-vide method to cook tri-tip?
Cooking tri-tips with sous vide is the perfect way to get a succulent and juicy cut of meat every time. With sous vide, the meat is cooked in a water bath that is precisely heated, allowing for an even and accurate cooking process that retains more moisture, flavor, and texture than traditional cooking methods. This method also gives you more control over the doneness of the meat, so you can get the perfect tri-tip every time.
To make it easier for you, here are the great benefits of cooking tri-tip with sous vide
- More precise and even cooking process
- Retains more moisture, flavor, and texture
- Gives more control over the doneness of the meat
- The juicier cut of meat every time
- Perfectly cooked tri-tips each time
- Sous vide machine: Sous vide cooker is necessary to precisely control the temperature of the water bath, allowing for accurate and even cooking.
- A plastic bag or vacuum sealer bag: These are needed to submerge the tri-tip in the water bath without allowing any water inside the bag.
- Cast-iron skillet: is required for searing after cooking so that you get that delicious crunchy texture on each side of the tri-tip.
- 12-quart Container: this is perfect for sous vide cooking, and can be used to prepare a delicious tri-tip every time. The size of the container you choose depends on the size of your food, but generally speaking, a 12-quart container will fit up to 4 to 5 pounds of meat
Tri Tip Time and Temperature:
The ideal temperature and time to sous vide tri-tip for a medium-rare finish will depend on the thickness of the cut. Generally, 1-inch thick tri-tip should be cooked at 131°F/55°C for 6 hours. If your cut is thicker than 1 inch, you may want to increase your cooking time to ensure that it is cooked through. Always make sure your internal temperature is at least 131°F/55°C before sous vide.
- 2 lbs Tri Tip
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
- Ghee, butter, or coconut oil can be used instead of olive oil.
- Curry powder, paprika, and cumin are some spices that could be substituted for garlic powder.
- 1. Preheat your sous vide machine to 131°F/55°C.
- 2. Rub the olive oil, garlic powder, salt, and pepper onto the tri-tip. Place the seasoned tri-tip into a plastic bag or vacuum sealer bag and remove any excess air.
- 3. Place the bag into the sous vide machine and cook for 6 hours.
- 4. Remove the tri-tip from the bag and pat dry with a paper towel.
- 5. Season the tri-tip with salt and pepper, or any other desired seasonings.
- 6. Heat a heavy-bottomed pan over high heat until it’s very hot.
- 7. Add a small amount of oil to the pan, enough to coat the bottom.
- 8. Then sear each side of the tri-tip for 30 seconds or until lightly browned. Make sure to leave enough space between each piece of meat so that it sears evenly rather than steaming in its juices. Flip the steaks and repeat on the second side.
- 9. Let the tri-tip rest for 5 minutes, then slice and serve.
Note: Searing is the most important step when sous vide tri-tip. This process helps to achieve a crisp, golden-brown crust on the outside of the meat and adds an extra layer of flavor. Searing also helps to retain juices within the meat by sealing in moisture and preventing it from evaporating during cooking.
Nutrition Fact (per serving)
- Calories: 260
- Total Fat: 14 grams
- Saturated Fat: 4.5 grams
- Trans Fat: 0 gram
- Cholesterol: 80 milligrams
- Sodium: 130 milligrams
- Total Carbohydrate: 0 grams
- Dietary Fiber : 0 grams
- Sugar : 0 grams
- Protein: 27 grams
Now that you know how to cook tri-tip using sous vide, you’re well on your way to becoming a culinary expert. This cooking method is not only foolproof, but it also produces consistent and delicious results every time. So go ahead and impress your friends and family with this amazing recipe. And if you’re looking for more sous vide recipes, be sure to check out our other articles.